The Perfect Summer Tacos
Yum! This recipe was made on-a-whim when Gabe and I wanted to make a quick and easy dinner on the grill. I stopped by pinterest for a few minutes and quickly decided to do some chicken tacos when I stumbled upon this awesome watermelon cucumber salsa. We are a little obsessed… It was love at first bite!
What I love so much about this recipe is that it’s just perfect for a summer BBQ! The watermelon is wonderfully cool and refreshing, while mixing so well with the salty corn tortilla! The cucumber and watermelon just give it a great crunch as you bite into the taco. And the cilantro! Ahhh it’s just so tasty!
GF, DF, SF
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds grilled chicken breasts
- Olive oil (about 8 Tblsp)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped watermelon
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 small jalepeno, finely chopped
- 2 Tblsp cilantro
- a sprinkle of salt
- Corn tortillas
Fresh, warm, and full of flavor
No seasoning packets or taco sauces needed, just simple seasonings from your cupboard. This meal can be put together in under 15 minutes and requires very few ingredients from the store! Just run in and grab ground beef, tomato, cilantro, and tortillas!
GF, SF, DF
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I shoot for 90% or more)
- 2 packets Minute Multi-grain rice medley (or any other rice – I prefer this because it has quinoa, brown rice & other types all mixed together)
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- Bunch of Cilantro
- 1 Lime
- Corn Tortillas
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tblsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tblsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
Family Recipes, adapted for this lifestyle
This is an old family favorite, that used to be made with rice-a-roni. I recently adapted to be gluten free, sugar free, and much more healthy without using the rice-a-roni but still having that great flavor! So yummy. Such a great comfort meal.
GF, SF, Vegetarian (without chicken)
- 2 C uncooked/ 4 C cooked rice (I use boil in a bag= 2 bags) or sautee
- 2 C cooked chicken breast (boiled)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk (*for dairy free see below)
- 1 C (gluten free) chicken broth
- 1/2 C onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 12-15 baby carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 Tbslp cilantro
- 1-2 Tblsp parsley
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 Tblsp lemon juice (I use real lemon)
- 1 Tblsp salt
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
What did you say was in these meatballs?
Try this healthy alternative to breadcrumbs in your meatballs! Your guests won’t even know the difference.
80-90 minutes to prepare (but very little attention needed!)
GF, DF, SF
- 1 lb ground beef (85% lean or more)
- 1/2 C quinoa
- 1 C water (for quinoa)
- 1 jar tomato sauce + 1 jar water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tblsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Tons of flavor, loved by all!
This is my favorite soup in the entire world. It has SO much flavor, so many good veggies, and is just a great broth-based soup. Your sinuses will be running by the time you’ve taken the 3rd bite because of the intense flavor. Just wait until you try it!
GF, DF, SF
This is an old family favorite. Instead of traditional macaroni, add quinoa for a low-carb and healthy grain alternative! We now fondly refer to it as gullah-goulash, since my uncle dubbed it it that during our beach house vacation in South Carolina (where many Gullah Geechee people live). It was a big hit with my fam!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 can Stewed Tomatoes (diced)
- 1 can Tomato Soup OR sauce
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water as needed
- Seasonings to taste, such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil. (I actually love the flavor so much I don’t add any seasoning!!)
- You can also add bell peppers, carrots, and onions as desired.
GF, SF, Paleo,
Can be Vegan (no chicken & cheese) & DF (no cheese)
- 3/4 lb Chicken strips or breasts- 2 cups cooked
- 1/2 – 1 small Zucchini (chopped & halved)
- 1/2 – 1 small Summer Squash (chopped & halved)
- 1 chopped Bell Pepper
- 1/2 chopped Onion (1/2 -1 inch pieces)
- 1 14 oz can of Artichokes hearts chopped
- 3 small Potatoes (2-bite potatoes)
- 3 C Spinach (torn in pieces)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 – 1 1/2 jar(s) Tomato Sauce (32 ounces)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 sprig Rosemary
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 Tblsp Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put chicken in pot with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes simmering. Do not overcook! Cut chicken into small strips or squares.
- Chop up all the veggies.
- Set oven temperature to 375*
- (Optional) Pour olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat and cook zucchini, onion, peppers, squash, garlic, artichoke and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine veggies, tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, salt & pepper, spinach, and chicken in 2 quart casserole dish.
- (Optional) Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring halfway through.
Makes 2 quarts.