GF, DF, SF
This is an old family favorite. Instead of traditional macaroni, add quinoa for a low-carb and healthy grain alternative! We now fondly refer to it as gullah-goulash, since my uncle dubbed it it that during our beach house vacation in South Carolina (where many Gullah Geechee people live). It was a big hit with my fam!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 can Stewed Tomatoes (diced)
- 1 can Tomato Soup OR sauce
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water as needed
- Seasonings to taste, such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil. (I actually love the flavor so much I don’t add any seasoning!!)
- You can also add bell peppers, carrots, and onions as desired.
- Brown ground beef and add salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes, sauce/soup, and paste.
- Simmer while cooking quinoa (according to directions on package- usually about 15 minutes simmering on the stove in water).
- The longer it simmers, the thicker the base and richer the flavor, so aim for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
- Keep quinoa and soup base separate for each serving OR combine all together at once (I prefer storing them separate since I have portion anxiety :D).
This is definitely one of those good old fashion comfort food recipes. So for all you east-coasters experiencing the “snow-pocalypse,” sit back, watch the olympics, and warm up with this soul-warming dinner. Meanwhile, I’ll be sweating in the 88 degree weekend Tucson has planned. No complaints here!