Family Recipes, adapted for this lifestyle
This is an old family favorite, that used to be made with rice-a-roni. I recently adapted to be gluten free, sugar free, and much more healthy without using the rice-a-roni but still having that great flavor! So yummy. Such a great comfort meal.
GF, SF, Vegetarian (without chicken)
- 2 C uncooked/ 4 C cooked rice (I use boil in a bag= 2 bags) or sautee
- 2 C cooked chicken breast (boiled)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk (*for dairy free see below)
- 1 C (gluten free) chicken broth
- 1/2 C onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 12-15 baby carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 Tbslp cilantro
- 1-2 Tblsp parsley
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 Tblsp lemon juice (I use real lemon)
- 1 Tblsp salt
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cook chicken on stovetop.
- Cook rice.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Sautee onion, pepper, carrots and garlic.
- Mix all ingredients together except chicken.
- Add chicken and pour into 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350* for 35 minutes with lid. Then take lid off and bake additional 5 minutes to crisp the top a bit.
* Dairy free? You can sub coconut milk 1:1, or make your own DF evaporated milk. Evaporated milk is easy to make with dairy free milk! It just takes a little longer.
- You will want to pour double the amount of milk that you need (so in this recipe 3 cups = 1 1/2 Cups evap. milk)
- Boil over medium heat (gentle boil) until the volume is cut in half.
- Optional: add vanilla and sea salt
- You should be left with 1 1/2 Cups
- This typically takes about 45 minutes