What did you say was in these meatballs?
Try this healthy alternative to breadcrumbs in your meatballs! Your guests won’t even know the difference.
80-90 minutes to prepare (but very little attention needed!)
GF, DF, SF
- 1 lb ground beef (85% lean or more)
- 1/2 C quinoa
- 1 C water (for quinoa)
- 1 jar tomato sauce + 1 jar water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tblsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Cook quinoa according to directions on bag, or boil 1 cup water and add quinoa on stove. Cover and simmer 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven 425*. Mix beef, quinoa, garlic, egg, onion, oregano, salt, basil, and pepper with hands in large bowl, evenly coating all surfaces.
- Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls, and place on baking sheet with foil.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until brown, rotating sheet halfway through. I also recommend flipping the meatballs over halfway through, as sometimes they get fairly brown on the bottom. Yields approximately two dozen meatballs.
- Drop meatballs into warmed sauce on stove at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with pasta, meatball subs, or plain as an appetizer. This meal makes an especially great dish for potlucks and parties! You can throw them in a crockpot and bring them to a potluck – easy.
Adapted to be dairy free and sugar free from the Bertolli website.