Is it breakfast or dessert?
I’m still not sure… I indulge for breakfast but it tastes so sweet it could pass as an evening treat for sure! Breakfast for dinner perhaps? YES!
I especially love eating this around the holidays. Sometimes when spending time with family stuffing their faces with treats, it can be easy to fall into the trap of feeling sorry for yourself when you eat a special diet. When I make this delicious breakfast, the opposite is the case and everyone is wanting some of what I have!!!
So… just in time for Christmas, I am sharing my new favorite sweet breakfast splurge with you!
GF, DF, SF, Vegetarian
- 2 eggs
- 2 pieces of gluten free bread (thicker is better)
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk (I use Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1 Tblsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon zest- 1/2 a lemon
- Lemon juice- 1/2 a lemon (> 1 Tblsp)
- 1 banana
- 1 Tblsp coconut oil
- Cinnamon (sprinkled lightly, to taste)
Optional toppings: maple syrup, shredded coconut, lemon zest, berries
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl (wide enough to fit a piece of bread, but small enough to fully submerge the bread).
- Let bread soak in mixture about a minute each slice, flipping over halfway
- In a medium to large pan, melt coconut oil and fry bread on medium heat for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes each side. Each side should be light – golden brown, depending on personal preference.
- Repeat with the second slice of bread, noting that you may need to add a small amount of coconut oil to the pan before frying the second slice.
- Prepare bananas using steps below and serve atop french toast.
- Heat 1 Tblsp coconut oil in a small frying pan on medium low heat.
- Slice banana into 1/2 inch pieces and lay in the pan.
- Sprinkle a few shakes of cinnamon on the bananas and sauté for about 45 – 60 seconds each side or until coated in oil and deepening to a golden yellow color (see right half of photo above).
- Finally, roll the sides gently of the bananas if the slices are thick enough to still remain untouched.
MmmMmmm this recipe is so yummy, I think I am going to have to make some tomorrow! I hope you enjoy it!
One thought on “Caramelized Banana French Toast”
Yum I am so going to try this gif X naughty breakfast over the holiday. Thanks for sharing.