Chocolate and Strawberry: a match made in… the 1960’s?
Apparently, the chocolate covered strawberry was first invented in the 1960s, in case you were wondering. Okay so these aren’t exactly chocolate covered strawberries, but when you combine the two in this decadent breakfast (or dessert), it sure tastes like it!!
Valentine’s day is this weekend! This is the first time in several years I’ve not had an official valentine date and it feels a little weird. It definitely isn’t as exciting seeing all the decorations, stuffed animals, and bouquets of flowers in the stores when you don’t have a special someone and for the last few years, it’s been odd anyway, since I went sugar-free and the holiday is focused around chocolate and sweet treats. A couple of years ago I did get clever and make an aluminum foil “Hershey’s kiss.”
In any case, this year I decided to make food my date!! 🙂 I am always up for a challenge and since this holiday is super sweet, I figured I would take a stab at it. I’ve been seeing so many fabulous valentines-inspired foods, which made me want to get creative and add some chocolate and strawberries to my weekend. I hope this recipe satisfies your sweet tooth and you are able to enjoy this breakfast in bed (if you’re on the east coast in this chilly polar vortex) or perhaps on the patio if you’re in a warmer area. I’ll be soaking up the sunshine and happiness all weekend! Treatyoself.
GF, DF, SF, Vegan
- 1 C Almond Milk (I use vanilla-unsweetened)
- 1/2 C GF Rolled Oats
- 1 Tblsp Cacao
- 1 small or 1/2 a large banana (mashed)
- 2 Tblsp unsweetened Almond or Peanut Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- Splash of Vanilla extract
- 3-4 Strawberries
- Optional: unsweetened shredded coconut, cacao nibs, or sliced almonds.
- In a small pot heat milk, oats, cacao, and mashed banana over medium heat. Stir until mixed.
- Allow mixture to thicken a bit (3-5 minutes), stirring periodically. Then add vanilla extract, salt, and nut butter.
- Keep stirring over heat for another couple of minutes, or until mixture has reached desired thickness.
- Top with strawberries and additional optional toppings as desired.